Saturday, February 22, 2014

Making room for the possibilities


Sometimes our energy gets stagnate. In order to move forward we have to make room for the new and wonderful things to come into our lives. Our closets, offices and bedrooms can be symbolic of what is going on in our lives. So it is out with the old to make room for all the possibilities. Last weekend over a lovely three-day holiday I spent most of it cleaning out and organizing my closets....essentially my life.

My closets are small, and like most girls I dream of a Carrie Bradshaw closet. But my day job working for a school district on a tight budget is not allowing for the fantasy closest of my dreams....just yet anyway. However, with creativity, little by little I am turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room that makes me smile.

I turned an old dresser into a quirky girly piece. The crackle finish adds texture while, the stenciled bra and hosiery add a whimsical touch to the space. Above the dresser is a crown molding bulletin board (TJ Max) adorned with things that make me smile a vision board, photos of my dog and a card my nephew made for me.   I believe it is important to fill your space with things that are important to you. I love to read so it only made sense to have a collection of books.







I decided to make the top drawer a home for some of my jewelry. I purchased foam from Michael's and cut it to fit.  It makes finding my earrings a breeze in the morning.





These cubes are from the Better Homes and Gardens collection at Walmart. I wanted my shelves to resemble a shopping experience at some of my favorite boutiques. These cubes showcase my clothes and make it so much easier to see what I actually have in my wardrobe.








Next I added a comfortable over-sized chair. It's the perfect place to sit down and pull on my boots, or relax with a book and a glass of wine. Continuing to layer texture, cushion and comfort I added a chocolate velvet throw, tons of throw pillows and a little side table for my wine.





Now when I pass by this room it makes me smile. Actually, my dressing room speaks to me and invites me in to spend time in this space. I will continue to add small touches. As the budget allows, I will add a mirror and maybe a foot stool.

Everything is at my finger tips, organization feels so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger